The firm stands poised to deliver the highest standards of
quality using the latest technology. With a spirit of teamwork,
we strive to meet our client’s needs today and into the future.
Cromwell celebrates its 125th year in continuous practice.
New Cromwell logo and website unveiled.
Cromwell designs first LEED building in Arkansas.
Firm’s name becomes Cromwell Architects Engineers.
Cromwell designs control towers at Luke AFB, Laughlin AFB, Altus AFB, and Randolph AFB by site adapting the design for the tower at LRAFB to each new site.
Cromwell’s first project at Arkansas Children’s Hospital.
Cromwell begins use of e-mail and internet and launches Cromwell website.
“One Spring Building” renamed the “Cromwell Building.”
The firm’s expertise expands to include correctional and judicial work.
Cromwell celebrates its 100th year in continuous practice. John Truemper publishes A Century of Service 1885-1985 to commemorate occasion.
Initiates first CAD (computer-aided design) in Arkansas.
F. Hampton Roy publishes Charles L. Thompson and Associates Arkansas Architect 1885-1938.
The firm expands its practice nationwide and overseas through work with the Department of Defense and a medical development client.
Memphis office opens.
Cromwell designs first commissary at Little Rock Air Force Base. Success leads to commissary work that continues today.
Experimental solar design which utilizes photovoltaic cells with concentrating collectors goes into the design of the Mississippi County Community College.
Firm moves into current location at Spring and Markham.
Future CEO Brent Thompson, with specialty in healthcare design, joins the firm.
Ray Parker joins firm to manage the Construction Administration Department.
The firm establishes Interiors Department.
Firm completes first overseas jobs: U.S. Consul General’s Residence and Staff Housing. (Madras and New Delhi, India)
Future CEO Gene Levy joins the firm. During this period, the firm gains recognition in the design of industrial buildings.
Ben Dees, first engineer since Rickon in 1891, joins firm. Strong engineering department develops with addition of Ollie Gatchell in 1956 and Bill Woodsmall in 1960. Firm moves to 416 Center Street.
Robert Millett and Dietrich Neyland join firm in 1950 bringing International Style design principles to projects.
Forrest City office opens.
Firm designs the Arkansas Governor’s Mansion on site of the Blind School using original brick from the school.
Firm grows during postwar years. Charles Carter joins firm in 1946 and establishes Construction Administration Department.
Upon graduating from high school, future president, John Truemper first works for firm at age 18.
Edwin Cromwell succeeds Sanders in partnership. Large number of military projects at Camp Joseph T. Robinson completed during this period.
After 52 years of active practice, Thompson retires. 137 of his projects are on the National Register of Historic Places.
Theo Sanders and Frank Ginocchio merge their architectural practices with Mr. Thompson. Churches and schools are mainstay of firm’s work during Depression years.
The firm designs one of the first gas stations in Arkansas.
Charles L. Thompson serves as a founding member of the Arkansas Chapter of American Institute of Architects.
While practicing in El Dorado, oil was discovered in Union County. The firm establishes an office there.
Thompson and Harding form partnership.
Governor George Donaghey appoints Charles L. Thompson to chair the commission to oversee the completion of the Arkansas State Capitol.
The firm designs several courthouses, including the outstanding Washington County Courthouse.
Thomas Harding hired at age 14.
Hundreds of residential, commercial, and government projects designed and built from 1897-1916, Charles Thompson’s most productive years.
Fred J. H. Rickon and Thompson form one of first known architecture and engineering partnerships.
Bartlett follows project to Mississippi leaving business to Charles Thompson at age 21.
Bartlett and Thompson partnership forms. Offices located on Markham across street from current Cromwell offices.
Charles L. Thompson goes to work for Mr. Bartlett in 1886.
What is known today as Cromwell was founded in 1885 by B.J. Bartlett.